Having a baby is among the most exciting and overwhelming experiences of your life. An expectant mother tries her level-best to note down all the necessaries which will be used by the baby. Whether it’s the toys, baby cot, clothes, diapers, or feeders, you keep scrolling for the best till the last moment. But you know what? There are always high chances that you would still miss out on something important.
Many moms-to-be forget to focus on the baby’s right and essential feeding accessories and instead are busy in the glitz and glamour of baby shopping. As a future mother, your priority must be all about feeding the baby and taking care of the aftermath. Burping is something plenty of parents forget about. Yes, the baby has to burp also. And not just one time, actually many times in a day whenever he/she feeds on milk. Burps bring in the real mess which you need to keep in your mind. Burps spill milk, are smelly, and get irritating also, especially when you have put in so much effort to feed the baby first.
To cope up with this situation, you should do complete homework about ‘How many burp cloths do I need?”.And for that, I will provide all the reader-moms a complete and in-depth guide about how to use burp cloths.
Table of Contents
- How To Use Burp Clothes?
- How many Burp Cloths Do I Need For a Newborn?
- How Many Burp Cloths Do I Need For 1-2 Years, Old Baby?
- How Many Burp Cloths Do I Need For Baby Twins?
- What Is The Best Size Of Baby Burp Cloth?
- What Is The Best Cloth For Burp Cloths?
- How To Make Baby Burp Clothes?
- How To Make Burp Clothes Out Of Cloth Diapers?
- How to wash burp clothes?
- Top 5 Best Baby Burp Cloths To Shop Online
- Final Thoughts:
How To Use Burp Clothes?
Burp cloths are usually made from a thicker material, like that of a towel. They are flexible and have absorbent properties. I call it the elder brother to the baby bib. Bibs are draped over the baby’s neck and chest area to protect their clothes from spillage during having milk or other solid food. Bibs are smaller in size and made from a thinner material that absorbs less.
In contrast, burp clothes are kept on the parent’s shoulder, lap, or arm when making the baby burp after the meal. Similarly, they are used on the shoulder when you making the baby sleep. Many times babies burp while sleeping also.
You can use them to clean the baby’s mouth. In case of a large milk fountain coming right through our baby’s mouth during milk feeding, burp clothes will be your savage. They are just pieces of rags, always ready to be used as the vomit alarm bells.
How many Burp Cloths Do I Need For a Newborn?
No.of burp clothes can vary keeping the baby’s age in mind. A newborn usually feeds on the mother’s milk only. Burping is something new for a newborn. As he drinks more and more milk, his stomach develops a lot of gas which results in burping.
It takes plenty of time for the baby to learn to burp which means you should have at least 10-15 burp clothes initially. And let me clear one thing, you do have to keep laundering them at least twice a week. If you think you are among the super lazy mummies, then get your hands on 15-20 burp cloths.
How Many Burp Cloths Do I Need For 1-2 Years, Old Baby?
Newborns spill a lot of milk till the first 6 months. Whereas 1-2 years old baby would do the same but lesser. After 6 months or so, the baby starts to feed on solid food like cereals, yogurt, fruits, grains, etc. Thus the chances of vomit reduce while burping but, as a parent, you always have to take precautions. So you can then keep 8-10 burp clothes at a time.
When you go out along with your baby, you should keep at least 2-3 burp clothes in the diaper bag.
ALSO READ: Best Baby Wraps For Newborns – Our Top Picks
How Many Burp Cloths Do I Need For Baby Twins?
Twins bring in double fun along with double trouble also. Taking care of twins is quite a big responsibility. You should always be on your toes, ready for any challenge. Concerning the number of baby burp cloths, you will need, get ready to spend a good amount on these cloth pieces.
Soon after the birth, you will require 25-30 burp cloths or twins. 15-18 burp clothes should always be in handy, cleaned, and washed. When you are using them, the rest of the 15-18 burp cloths can be thrown in the laundry. Keep repeating the washing cycle, then only you will be able to accomplish the need to burp cloths.
What Is The Best Size Of Baby Burp Cloth?
Mostly, burp clothes range from initially 9 x 17 inches in dimensions. The width is usually smaller than the length. The width can range between 8-12 inches while the length can be between 15-20 inches. Longer burp clothes can easily be kept on your shoulders while making the baby burp or sleep. The increased length reduces the chances of spillage on your clothes and remains the burp cloth itself.
Even if you plan to make your baby burp cloth, follow these measurements. Then only they will prove to be pretty versatile in preventing milk spits on your shoulder and arms. If the burp cloths will be too tiny, they won’t turn out to be as effective as we desire them to be. Similarly, you will get burp clothes in different patterns like squares, circles, and oval shapes also.
A two-sided contoured shape for a baby burp cloth is also pretty common. That shapes provides a rectangular part in the middle and a large contoured edge at both ends. But as far as the maximum effectiveness is concerned, better go for a longer rectangle burp cloth.
What Is The Best Cloth For Burp Cloths?
Having a wholesome collection of good-quality absorbent burp cloths is the foremost rule for new moms. But what can be the best material and fabric for baby burp cloths? Commonly, cotton fabric is the popular choice among parents. Cotton fabrics like flannel, chenille, and terry cloth have proved to be the best and most absorbent material for burp cloths.
These fabrics have enhanced absorbing properties and are easily washable also. Likewise, cotton causes no irritation, rashes, and itchiness to your baby. It’s extremely important to check out the fabric of the baby burp cloth. You have to clean the baby’s mouth, cheeks, hands, etc. Likewise, while making him sleep on your shoulder, his face touches the burp cloth.
Babies have extremely sensitive skin. If not taken care of the material for their accessories, they might end up getting redness and rashes. Similarly, check whether the material is breathable and hypoallergenic too. These all factors are immensely important for parents to consider, who are out, for baby shopping.
How To Make Baby Burp Clothes?
Indulging in different DIYS for your upcoming baby is always fun and exciting. Just like sewing little frocks, shirts, sweaters, socks, bibs, you can also sew your baby burp cloth. To make a baby burp cloth, you will be needing:
- Fabric Scissors
- Sewing Machine
- Cardboard (6.5 x 16.5 inches)
- Rotary Cutter
- Firstly, get hold of some vibrant colored cotton chenille or flannel sheets for the external covering. Likewise, you will be needing terry cloth material for the internal structure, because that is the absorbent base.
- Take a cardboard and draw a rectangle measuring 6.5 inches in width and 16.5 inches in length, using a scale. Then, with the help of sharp scissors, cut down the drawn rectangle.
- Now you can use the cardboard rectangle as a sample. Place it over the cotton sheet and observe the measurements. If you are using a rotary cutter, carefully cut the cotton sheet beneath according to the measurements of the cardboard. In case you don’t have a rotary cutter, use fabric scissors. Draw the measured rectangle with a pencil, on the cotton cloth by keeping the cardboard on it. Once drawn, use scissors to cut it down into a perfect rectangle.
- Repeat the same procedure to cut down the terry cloth also. The terry cloth and cotton sheet should align perfectly.
- Using a sewing machine, you can now stitch the rectangular sides of the burp cloth. The cotton sheet will be the front face while terry cloth will come under it.
How To Make Burp Clothes Out Of Cloth Diapers?
As a parent-to-be, you might have heard the use of cloth diapers too. Many parents advocate cloth diapers in comparison to disposable diapers. Even though, disposal diapers are way better than cloth diapers as they are more breathable, hygienic, and cause lesser skin rashes than cloth diapers. But cloth diapers come in handy when used as a burp cloth.
So you can buy loads of cloth diapers and make some amazing burp clothes from them. Using cloth diapers as burp cloths is a super pocket-friendly option and are more absorbent as the cloth diaper is quite thick.
Cloth diapers are white which makes them look quite boring. Baby’s accessories are always colorful and pleasing to the eyes. To enhance the appearance, you can stitch a flannel or chenille sheet over it. Flannel sheets will come in various patterns and plentiful prints. Similarly, you can go for HD printing also on the cloth diaper and beautify its outlook.
How to wash burp clothes?
Burp cloths are easy to wash and maintain. Following is the easiest way to wash baby burp clothes:
- If the burp cloth is extremely dirty and has some stubborn stains, treat the stain first by using a stain remover or a mild detergent. Rub the detergent liquid on the stains and let it stay for 10-15 minutes.
- Harsh and strong chemical detergents are highly non recommended. They will fade the material and make it rough. This can irritate the baby’s skin. Go for mild detergents which are easily available in the baby care section.
- Once the stain is removed, go for machine washing. Run-on gentle cycle and use lukewarm water.
- Let the burp clothes air-dry. That is more preferred. In case you want to use the dryer, remember to use low-heat mode. Excessive heat will discolor the material.
- Wash burp clothes twice a week. For example, if you have 20 burp cloths, almost 10 will be used in 2-3 days. When those 10 burp clothes get dirty, launder them and leave them to dry. During this process, you can use the rest 10 burp cloths. Similarly, when they get smelly and stained, wash them and use the dried ones.
Tip: Dip the burp cloth into vinegar and water before machine washing. This will remove the odor completely. Use fragrant comforter also for a fresher feel.
Top 5 Best Baby Burp Cloths To Shop Online
After reading all about the importance of burp cloths, you might have decided to go out for their shopping. But what if you get hold of those burp clothes which won’t be worthy of their price. To address this problem, I have picked some best baby burp cloths which are trendy, affordable, breathable, made from organic material, and are easily available online too.
- Luvable Baby Cotton Flannel Burp Cloths
- Aden + Anais Burpy Cotton Muslin Bib+Burp Cloth
- Hudson Baby Unisex Baby Cotton Flannel Burp Cloths
- Gerber Baby 4-Pack Flannel Burp Cloth
- Copper Pearl Baby Burp Cloth
All the mommy’s-to-be, don’t underestimate the importance of burp clothes as they are going to help you a lot cleaning up the baby spills. The first year with the newborn is going to be quite difficult and sometimes, miserable too. Vomiting, drooping, and spilling will be a lot.
So you would thank yourself for investing in, this baby care product. I hope that the above-mentioned guide about ‘how many burp cloths do I need‘ has given you all the knowledge about handing burp clothes. To keep reading such articles about baby care, stay tuned to the website.